Wednesday, September 12, 2007

And so it begins

It seems everyone has a blog these days, so I feel like I should join in. I'm sure I won't be a regular blogger. The only thing that's ever been regular about me is my hairstyle and my bowels. When I step back and look at the 'me' that I am today, I have no idea how it came about. I grew up in a drinking, smoking, koolaid and government cheese kind of family, yet my girls wear cloth diapers and I've never had a chemical in my body that wasn't prescribed by a physician.

Growing up, and well into my early adulthood, I was always known as a musician. It's now been over a year since I've touched my saxophone. I have become consumed by the two most wonderful and underpaid jobs in the world: teaching and motherhood!

I would love to be a stay-at-home mom, but it's financially impossible, especially considering my husband is also a teacher. So after our eldest daughter, Elizabeth, was born, I went part-time. I quit my 2-day-a-week music teaching job and stuck with a 3-day position in Gifted and Talented. I love the work I do, and the school I teach in is amazing. But there isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish I was home with my little girls.

Elizabeth will be turning two years old on Friday. I am mourning the loss of my first baby, but also am rejoicing in the wonder of toddlerhood. She is saying and doing something new every minute, it seems. Elizabeth will be giving us a run for our money, I think. She is the epitome of the sponge child. Catherine, who is 4 months old, is our busy baby. She's been standing on our laps since the day she was born, and has never been happy to be just held and cuddled. She wants to be sitting up, taking in the world, watching your face while you talk, your hands while you work. In looks they are complete opposites, and it seems the same in personality. In ten years or so, if you see me, please offer your condolences. :)

No comments: